3 day Canoe expedition on the river Tamar
The 3 day canoe expedition on the river Tamar is a favourite of ours!
We are pleased to offer this fantastic 3 day canoe trip on the beautiful river Tamar, which is located on the border of Devon and Cornwall!
The adventure will begin at Saltash where we will start with the safety and essentials of canoe expedition trips. Before we pack and head off on the water we will talk about safety aspects of paddling and all potential hazards that we could encounter on such trips and how to overcome them, We will also teach you how to pack your boat, discuss trim and show you how to lift and carry the boats as a group or on your own. When everyone is happy we will begin our adventure on the beautiful and scenic river. Once on the water you will be shown how to best manoeuvre the canoe. You will be paddling in tandem so we will show you the preferred techniques to move efficiently over the water .We will be paddling a distance of over 50 km over the 3 days whilst still having time to practice some great bushcraft and canoe expedition skills including the following:
- Safe and effective cutting tool use and basic wood carving
- Dealing with emergencies in remote areas
- Using a tarpaulin and the importance of Shelter
- Safety on the water
- Transporting your boat
- Fire lighting skills
- Solo and Tandem paddling techniques
- Fishing techniques
- Navigation and more
For the first evening we will be heading to the Cotehele estate and setting up camp. When we arrive we will prepare our evening meal and look at some of the essential wilderness skills that you can then practice over the duration of your stay.
After a night under the stars we will have the morning to relax, practice some bushcraft skills, try our luck at fishing and enjoy the scenery. We aim to be back on the water for lunch time. As a group we will paddle up to the tidal limits near the town of Gunnislake. Whilst on the water we can try some more fishing techniques and you will be shown some new paddling skills. The scenery on the upper Tamar is beautiful and we will pass the Morwell cliffs and quay where you will hopefully get the chance to spot some great wildlife. As the evening draws it will be back to our camp for the night where you can relax and enjoy the evening meal. With over 40km paddled now a good night’s sleep will be in order!
The following morning will be an early rise followed by breakfast and then it will be time to pack the kit up ready for our journey back down the river and head for Saltash. All good things must come to an end. This will be an adventure you will struggle to forget!
All canoeing equipment is supplied by us.
Start: Friday..tbc..due to tides
Finish: Sunday…tbc..due to tides
**Under 18’s must be accompanied by a paying adult
SOS supply evening meals on this adventure for the group, please make sure you have sufficient food for the rest of the trip though, 2 x breakfast meals and 1 x lunch meal along with some additional snacks.
Kit List for Wilderness Canoeing and Bushcraft Adventure Course
- Practical outdoor clothing (WATER PROOFS)
- Walking boots or similar
- A light weight pair of trainers or flip flops for the canoe trip that you don’t mind getting wet
- A coat (Ideally water proof)
- A sleeping bag and roll matt
- Mess tins or Billy can
- plate or bowl
- Knife, fork and spoon also a mug or cup to drink from
- A full water bottle (for drinking)
- A head torch and a spare set of batteries
- Insect repellent
- A whistle for emergencies
- Anti-bacterial wipes
- Small first aid kit
- Dry Sack or plastic bags to keep all your kit dry
- 2 x breakfast meals and 1 x lunch
- A few snacks for the canoe trip
- A change of clothing
- A dry bag for essential kit
- A notebook and pencil
- Bivvy bag (sleeping bag cover)
- Tea or coffee
- Change of clothing
- We supply tarps but your more than welcome to bring your own sleeping system on this trip ie Hammock or tent etc.
PLEASE ONLY BRING WHAT YOU CAN COMFORTABLY CARRY